Sometimes we want a breakfast that’s heathy but doesn’t take a lot of time to make or clean up after. Here are a few ideas to get started. Have fun playing with substitutions!
The beauty of overnight oats is that you can make them as simple or complex as you want, but only need one container to mix and serve it in.
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup “milk” of choice. Try to stick to unsweetened ones, as the dried fruit will likely have added sugar.
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (dried cranberries)
- 1 tbsp chia or flax seeds
- My favorite spice blend: cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, and cardamom.
Mix all ingredients in the evening in a container. Put in the fridge overnight for at least 8 hours. Enjoy the next morning. Steel cut oats will give it more of a cereal texture, while rolled oats will give it a creamier texture.
Spinach Scramble with Corn Tortillas
- 2 small corn tortillas
- 2 eggs
- A big handful of fresh baby spinach
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
Heat a dry skillet over a medium high stove. Warm each tortilla 2-3 minutes per side, until warm and softening. While the tortillas are heating, lightly beat the eggs.
Lower the stove temperature to medium. Heat the coconut oil in the same pan until warm. Lightly sauté garlic until the aroma releases. Toss in the spinach, sautéing 3-4 minutes or until wilted. Pour in the eggs, season with salt, pepper, and seasoning of choice. Stir until curds form in the eggs. Serve with or on tortillas. To enhance the flavor, try some dried tarragon or Herbs de Provence.
Creamy Apple Pie Shake
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
Blend until smooth.
I wish you all a very Happy New Year. May 2016 bring you health, joy and prosperity.